LAST CHANCE - LIMITED STOCK - - SALE - Word Family Tiles in a Jar - Blends, Digraphs, Consonants and ending sounds - Language Arts Teacher Supply
These word family tiles are a perfect way to teach phonics. Word families are groups of words that have a common feature or pattern of letters. for example, the word family "at" can be used with the words bat, cat, fat, hat, mat, pat, rat, and sat. If you know what sound "at" makes then you can read all those words!
Another more complex example is "ile" if you know the sound of "ile" you can read the words bile, file, mile, Nile, pile, tile, and vile! Many of the nursery rhymes contain common word families. You can use these rhymes to teach these letter combinations.
The tiles are color coded and contain beginning and ending sounds and when put together they can make a word! For example, if you have a green tile (a digraph or blends sound) and match it with a blue tile with different word family ending you create words! ((Green - "'fl" with blue - "ash" = the word "flash")
How to Play:
- Pick a beginning sound tile and select random ending sounds until you make a word.
- Pick a beginning sound and try all ending sound options. How many words could you make with that letter?
- Make as many words as you can with all the tiles.
- Pick tiles and make words (real and made up funny words)
- 124 plastic tiles
- Green tiles are 1.5" x 1.25"
- Blue tiles are 2.25" x 1.25"
- Plastic storage container with screw on lid is 6" x 4.75" x 4.75".
Perfect activity to reinforce concepts. This makes a great supplement to the curriculum by being a learning center activity or a fun and educational challenge for individuals or groups.